In this procedure you will be learning how to prepare an acetabulum and femur for implantation of an acetabular cup and liner, and femoral stem implant.
You will resect and remove the femoral head. The acetabulum will be prepared with an Acetabular Reamer, ready for the cup and liner to be implanted. You will then use a combination of Box Osteotome, Canal Finder and a series of Femoral Broaches to prepare the femoral medullary canal. Once the canal has been prepared at the correct angles and depth, you will then complete the implantation.
- Demonstrate the appropriate preparation of the acetabulum and femur
- Use of the correct angles for creating and broaching the femoral medullary canal
- Use of the correct angles for the insertion of the cup and stem implants
- Interpret AP X-ray imaging to assess and confirm tool and implant placement
- Demonstrate an appropriate combination of procedural accuracy and application of force throughout the procedure
- Identify key anatomical structures in relevant steps and perform steps accordingly
- Recall the basic surgical objectives and steps for anterior total hip replacement
- List and recognize the surgical equipment and understand their utility within the procedure